Although the world produces enough food to feed everyone, hunger continues to be a sad reality. Poverty, mismanagement, climate change, natural disasters or wars are the causes. 800 million people worldwide are still undernourished. Every day, 8,000 children die from the consequences of undernourishment, or suffer their whole life from the physical and mental consequences of malnutrition.
Caritas contributes to the goal of halting hunger worldwide. It is committed to rural development, so that the farming families can generate a regular income and feed their growing children a balanced diet:
- We help small farmers in developing countries with resistant seeds.
- We tap into irrigation systems.
- We provide training in modern cultivation methods.
- We support the creation of marketing cooperatives.
- We support small enterprises in the joint marketing and sale of their products.
The small farmers in Cambodia continue to cultivate their rice according to traditional methods. Once a year, when the rain falls during the rainy season. But due to climate change, the rain has become increasingly unreliable. Whole harvests are destroyed. The extreme weather drives farming families into poverty. With the help of Caritas, the farmers construct water channels in the project area to irrigate the rice fields several times, and also diversify their income with small animal husbandry or vegetable gardens.